Cadenden Amateur Swimming Club has always been a family friendly club, which is at the heart of the local community.
Around 1920, many miners and their families used the dams to learn to swim. As no buoyancy aids were available, reeds were used to keep them afloat.
Around 1930, Mr Andrew Johnson, Mr John Martin and others used to hire busses to take them to the pools in Perth, Alloa, Dunfermline and Arbroath.
At that time, our club was in its infancy, and was primarily a lifesaving club. Land training was carried out on benches at the old Miner’s Institute near the cemetery, and in the Pavilion at Wallsgreen. A decision was taken to raise funds to build a pool. Dances and whist drives were organised by the Woman’s Guild and were catered for by the Co-Op. Up to 250 people attended.
Around 1960, Mr Andrew Johnson, John Martin and others asked the miners to collect pennies from their pay. The collieries involved in this were Bowhill, Dundonald, Brighills and Kinglassie. Bowhill Colliery closed in 1965, as did the rest around this time.
Around 1965, £7000 had been collected. CISWO donated a further £3000, and the local council paid the rest. The total cost of the pool was £47000.
Finally, the pool was opened in February 1969. Mr Andrew Johnson swam the first full length. From that time, Cardenden ASC has taught many thousands of children to swim, and still continue to this day. All on a voluntary basis.
It is now our hope that the parents, friends and officials of Cardenden Amateur Swimming Club will pick up the torch and carry on the good work for the next generations.